Electrician's Blog

Electrician’s Blog | Oakley Electrical Contractors, Cardiff, Newport , Bristol and South Wales

Our blog contains useful information on all things electrical. Read it for useful hints, tips and tricks

Image of an old black fuse box stained with white paint

Electrical testing for homebuyers

 Posted By / 0 Comments

Buying a new property is a big step and probably the biggest investment in our life. If you are serious about buying a house you should definitely invest in a survey to avoid nasty surprises upon moving in. There are different types of surveys including building surveys, homebuyer reports, condition reports etc. All of these surveys have a section that covers the condition of the electrics in the property. There are two reasons for that; number one is health and safety and number two is the cost that comes with it. A house that needs rewiring can cost a buyer thousands of pounds in repair costs and if they are aware of these costs beforehand the price can be negotiated or the buyer can decide against purchasing the property.

Many people will only focus on the electrics as they can be a major issue. Therefore most electricians will offer an Electrical Home Buyer Report. A full inspection on a 4 bedroom property can take up to a day depending on the condition of the electrics. During the inspection the qualified electrician will be examining light fittings and behind sockets, areas where electrical cabling is to be found are also inspected (including loft space and outbuildings). Also the consumer unit/ fuse box is being tested as part of the inspection.

The Electrical Homebuyer Report will include the following:

  • A Technical NAPIT (Periodic Inspection Report on an Existing Electrical Installation)
  • A narrative report to go along with the technical NAPIT report including photographs where appropriate, explaining the findings and highlighting areas of concern
  • Recommendations on next steps and estimated costs of remedial works if requested.

For an electrical homebuyer survey you can contact us directly. However, should you be interested in a general survey that covers all the items in and around the house you can commission an RICS registered surveyor or conduct an online survey whilst viewing the property (www.ihousecheck.com).

Post has no comments.
Post a Comment

Captcha Image

Trackback Link
Post has no trackbacks.

Our Partners
Close Button

Contact Us

* Required